The Polite Liberal

A rant-free discussion of liberal philosophy and policies.

Name:

The Polite Liberal is the pseudonym of a "nontraditional" graduate student in mathematics (for nonacademics, "nontraditional," is a polite way of saying, "older than 25.") The Polite Liberal is an attempt to spur real policy debate, instead of partisan insults and conspiracy theories. Conservatives (and liberals, of course!) are welcome.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Welcome to the Polite Liberal

In the aftermath of the 2004 election, it's become clear that many people have simply never heard a straightforward, polite explanation of a liberal political position. I'm hoping to remedy that here.

A few ground rules:

(1) For the most part, I'll focus on policy and not politics. There are many, many other blogs that follow the mechanics of our country's incessant political campaigning better than I ever could (or would want to).

(2) I'll adopt an unusual convention and always refer to political figures formally: Mr. Bush, Ms. Clinton, and so forth. I'm hoping that this will force a slighly formal tone on the site, and avoid name-calling.

(3) Because the Democratic Party is enormously fragmented, I'm sure many liberals will disagree with my depiction of a "typical liberal viewpoint." So be it; where disagreements occur I'll try to mention them.

(4) Rude emails and comments will be periodically mocked. Positions won't be.

I'll start tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, from a knuckle-dragging, gun-toting, red-neck from Jesusland. My you live long and prosper.

Acidman

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came over to say Hi, read about you at Key's. My own blog isn't political, just touches on it sometimes. Being a polite and fairly formal conservative myself I thought it would only be the polite thing to do. Heh.

I'll come over and read for awhile, but the minute name calling, or put downs start, I'll be out of here. Personally, I believe that when name calling starts all thinking, reasonable people leave anyways. Life is to short to deal with the extreme nuts, don't you think?

BeeBee

3:06 AM  
Blogger James Old Guy said...

Always glad to see a legitmate opposing point of view. Also cruised over from Key.

11:28 AM  
Blogger That Broad said...

I would be interested to read a Liberal viewpoint without the usual invective that takes place among both conservatives and liberals. So far so good. I will come back.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home